ABRT frustrating for users and developers

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Tue Jan 19 10:44:23 UTC 2010

On 01/19/2010 11:27 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:49:05 -0800, Adam wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 16:01 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>
>>>        * abrt is frustrating for users: Today I received my first "No
>>>          need for a reply...I will stop submitting tickets."
>>>
>>> Can somebody confirm my observations?
>>
>> Not really, no. Anything new will have _some_ negative effects. That
>> doesn't make it bad in res totam.
>
> Package updates to ABRT
> should receive a lot of testing in order to avoid rushed "stable" releases
> that result in less useful bz tickets.

I agree, we (ABRT team) do a lot of testing before new release, but of
course can't cover all the cases :-/ Will try to pull-in some guys from
QA, as developer can never test it software, because it's hard to think
out-of-the-box and act like ordinary user.

> And if arbitrary 3rd party repos
> can lead to denial-of-service in ABRT, that's also something to consider
> in future updates.

Yes, this is unfortunate, if some repo is down, then yum refuses to wrok
even if the debuginfo could be found in other repo (e.g. rpmfusion is
down and user wants debuginfo from fedora repo). We are trying to make
this work, but I still think that until we rely on downloading debuginfo
to users there's no way to make this work on 100%

Jirka