FC12: Hidden files in /usr/bin/*

Garrett Holmstrom gholms.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 16:23:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>> - in some circumstances (government, regulated companies) encryption
>>     must be certified to the FIPS 140-2 standard
>
> I don't know this "standard".
>
> May-be this "fips standard" collides with the FHS, may-be this standard
> is defective?
>
> Do you have a pointer/reference to this "standard"? Does it really
> mandate pollution /usr/bin and thus $PATH?

FIPS 140-2 is a US government standard for crypto system security.
Its full text is available at
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/standards.html if you're
interested.

I have no idea if it actually requires them to be alongside the
executables, but hopefully the link will help.

--
Garrett Holmstrom