packaging shared libraries without autoconf and automake

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Jan 23 04:37:22 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Eric Smith <eric at brouhaha.com> said:
> I don't want to replace the upstream Makefile with use of autoconf and
> automake, and the libtool documentation doesn't really explain how to
> use libtool without those.  Can I just do the shared library versioning
> "by hand", by creating the appropriate symlinks in the package?  Or is
> there some other preferred way to deal with this kind of situation?

If upstream isn't building a shared library, then you have no good way
to set a version and then maintain an ABI.  If other software that links
against the library is only expecting a static, they won't expect to
have to deal with ABI changes either.

No matter how you make a shared library, I'd suggest getting that change
accepted upstream before trying to put it in Fedora.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>