Multilib help?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Jan 26 10:13:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 02:08:10PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> - If the file in both packages is identical, installation is allowed
>>   and the file is written
>> - If the file in both packages is an ELF binary, the file used is the
>>   file in the package for the primary architecture
>> - If the file in both packages is not an ELF binary a RPM conflict is
>>   raised
>
> Are you sure about the third rule?

Yes.

> I think the problem arises because /usr/bin/libguestfs-supermin-helper
> is different in libguestfs.i686 and libguestfs.x86_64, but this file
> is a shell script, not an ELF binary.
>
> These are the files in libguestfs.i686 and libguestfs.x86_64 that have
> the same names but different content:
>
>  /usr/bin/hivexget                     (ELF binary)
>  /usr/bin/hivexml                      (ELF binary)
>  /usr/bin/libguestfs-test-tool         (ELF binary)
>  /usr/libexec/libguestfs-test-tool-helper (ELF binary)
>  /usr/bin/libguestfs-supermin-helper   (shell script)
>
> Anyway, I will move the shell script and see if that helps.

Wont help, the multilib file "shadowing" logic is NOT based on paths.
Looking at libguestfs.spec, here's the problem:

%global _use_internal_dependency_generator 0

The external dependency generator doesn't create the file "coloring" that
the multilib magic needs to operate. So you'll get conflicts on all paths
where content differs.

 	- Panu -