Multilib help?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Jan 26 16:43:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:35:19PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> ...except looking at libguestfs-1.0.75-1.fc12, it *has* been built with
>> internal dependency generator, and it gives:
>>
>> Preparing...                ###########################################
>> [100%]
>>  	file /usr/bin/libguestfs-supermin-helper conflicts between
>> attempted installs of libguestfs-1:1.0.75-1.fc12.i686 and
>> libguestfs-1:1.0.75-1.fc12.x86_64
>
> The problem seems to be when you install them in separate RPM
> transactions, then remove one (or possibly upgrade one).  I haven't
> worked out a reliable reproducer, but I do know it can happen on
> machines where nothing has been forced.

It shouldn't be possible to install packages with conflicting files,
separate transactions or not, without some sort of forcing. If it is, then
its a rather grave bug somewhere in rpm file conflict logic and needs
finding and fixing. A reproducer would be very much appreciated.

Note that rpm < 4.6.0 did behave differently here: packages with
conflicting files were allowed to be installed in the same transaction but
not if installed separately, leading to strange situations. So if there's
a chance you've tested on RHEL/Centos at some point, that could explain it
as it'd then be just a matter of which order the packages got installed
in.

 	- Panu -