Moving lspci and setpci from /sbin to /usr/sbin?

Maxim Burgerhout maxim at wzzrd.com
Wed Jan 27 13:51:15 UTC 2010

Hi Michal,

A few thoughts on this:

- on RHEL boxes, the dependency on libpci does not exist and lspci is
in /sbin. Therefore, on RHEL boxes, lspci will still work with a
broken /usr partition. I haven't heard of anyone absolutely needing
lspci on a system with a broken /usr partition, but it *is* possible
to use it. Moving it also breaks a pretty long tradition, but that
should matter too much. I actually prefer lspci to be in my path as a
normal user.

- it would be consistent if lsusb would make the same move to
/usr/sbin, if lspci goes that way.

- I noticed Debian puts lspci in /usr/bin. I'm curious about the
reason lspci is to remain in a sbin directory if it's being moved
anyway.

I haven't been involved in Fedora for that long, but I'd like to
participate in this discussion a bit, if that's ok :-)

Regards,

Maxim Burgerhout
maxim at wzzrd.com
GPG Fingerprint
EB11 5E56 E648 9D99 E8EF 05FB C513 6FD4 1302 B48A