Moving lspci and setpci from /sbin to /usr/sbin?

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 14:44:29 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 14:51:15 Maxim Burgerhout wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> A few thoughts on this:
>
> - on RHEL boxes, the dependency on libpci does not exist and lspci is
> in /sbin. Therefore, on RHEL boxes, lspci will still work with a
> broken /usr partition. I haven't heard of anyone absolutely needing
> lspci on a system with a broken /usr partition, but it *is* possible
> to use it. Moving it also breaks a pretty long tradition, but that
> should matter too much. I actually prefer lspci to be in my path as a
> normal user.

well, on RHEL5 there is no pciutils-libs, so it does not depend on any library
in /usr/lib, but it depends at least on /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids and without
it lspci is not that useful

> - it would be consistent if lsusb would make the same move to
> /usr/sbin, if lspci goes that way.

on the other hand lsusb requires library from /usr/lib (on RHEL5) so it is in
/sbin but won't work without mounted /usr (and there are also usb.ids)

> - I noticed Debian puts lspci in /usr/bin. I'm curious about the
> reason lspci is to remain in a sbin directory if it's being moved
> anyway.

good question