New merge review tickets being opened

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 14:14:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 05:49:07PM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> BN> There is a new internal process that encourages that packages have
> BN> existing Fedora reviews.
>
> Please define "internal".  If this is some Red Hat internal thing, don't
> you think the community who is being asked to do this work should at
> least be informed?
>
> BN> They're reviews of Fedora packages.
>
> Fedora doesn't have any policy which requires reviews of these
> packages.  Fedora doesn't have the manpower to do re-reviews of packages
> at this time.
>
> BN> If the queue's not being processed quickly, the queue won't be
> BN> processed quickly.
>
> And you don't see any negative effects from this?  Really?  What about
> people with submissions just sitting around?
>
> BN> If these reviews need quick attention, then I suspect resources will
> BN> need to be assigned to them.
>
> Assigned by whom?  Again, if this is a Red Hat internal thing, please
> handle it within Red Hat or please at least talk to the community about
> it.
>
> BN> I'm not convinced that adding 12 packages to the queue (the current
> BN> count of these) is anything to worry about, given that we get more
> BN> new submissions than that per week already without any other
> BN> controls.
>
> Because we get a lot of submissions we're buried under, throwing a bunch
> of pointless ones on top won't hurt?  Come on, at least get someone to
> talk to us about this.

I've discussed this with the team that filed these reviews, and all
these bugs should now be assigned to Red Hat people, where they
properly belong.  The intention was never to dump these reviews on
volunteers, but rather for the engineers in the process to collaborate
with each other on the reviews.  The net benefit to Fedora is that
hopefully we get packages in Fedora the upstream that are
incrementally improved.  So if you see that any of these new tickets
*aren't* assigned, please let the list know and either Bill or I will
get that taken care of immediately.