Moving lspci and setpci from /sbin to /usr/sbin?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Jan 28 15:06:43 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> said:
> On 01/27/2010 02:17 PM, Michal Hlavinka wrote:
> > Do you think moving this is a bad idea?
> Yes.
>
> The pciutils are valuable tools when trying to recover from situations
> when "things go utterly wrong".

So what difference does it make where they are (e.g. why do you say this
is a bad idea)?  They don't work without other stuff in /usr, so they
should be in /usr.

> > only problem can be with separate /usr partition but because of library in
> > /usr it would be already broken and I've not seen any complain about it ever.
> Well, a separate /usr-partition has never worked on RH-based distros.

I beg to differ; I've been using a separate /usr (mounted read-only
except during maintenance) on RHL, RHEL, and Fedora for at least 13
years.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>