Moving lspci and setpci from /sbin to /usr/sbin?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 29 08:32:15 UTC 2010

On 01/29/2010 07:19 AM, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Ralf Corsepius<rc040203 at freenet.de>  wrote:
>> Consider taking out /usr from your fstab and to check how far you can get.
>> With /sbin/lspci you will be able to check your pci setup, with
>> /usr/sbin/lspci, you wouldn't.
>
> False.  /sbin/lspci doesn't work without libpci.so, which is in
> /usr/lib.  Thus /sbin/lspci will fail to load in the absence of /usr.
> This is exactly the same as the case you describe for /bin/rpm and
> /sbin/setpci.
>
> Maybe I'm just misinterpreting your post...

Somewhat.

You've provided an example of what I consider broken packaging and an
example of a case why Fedora doesn't work without /usr/ being mounted:

Presuming /sbin/lspci is supposed to work without having /usr/ mounted,
then libpci.so.X needs to reside in /lib|/lib64.

Or differently: Everything in /bin and /sbin, must only be dynamically
linked against libraries in /lib|/lib64. The fact lspci is linked
against /usr/{lib|lib64}/libpci.so.X is a defect.

Ralf