Draft privilege escalation policy for comments

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Jan 29 23:40:14 UTC 2010

Hi Adam,

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi, everyone. Since the big PackageKit brouhaha surrounding Fedora 12,
> there's been a discussion surrounding the need for a policy about
> privilege escalation in Fedora. Representing the QA group, we would like
> for there to be such a policy in order to allow a meaningful review of
> privilege escalation issues as part of QA's testing of Fedora releases.

Agree it makes sense for there to be a policy, thanks for looking at this!

> Please do provide any and all feedback on the proposed policy. if we can
> get it into a shape which most people on the list would find acceptable,
> my next step will be to take it back to FESco for them to review.
> Thanks.

So a general theme that seems to run through the policy of "don't
affect other users", and some things have exceptions (shutdown and
reboot), but others don't (change the system time, adding new
software).  Is there a rationale for that?