Would you use a programming language with missing features?

Haïkel Guémar karlthered at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 20:14:17 UTC 2010

Le 30/01/2010 18:05, Paulo Cavalcanti a écrit :
> It is not a pleasant situation when your code does not work because
> the programming language does not do what it is supposed to.
>
> I am not raising any kind of rant here. I am just pointing that there is
> a problem
> that could have been already solved.

The use case provided there is broken by design, multiple threads try
use the same Label object.
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2008-September/060101.html

Since Tkinter is currently *not* thread-safe, you shouldn't expect this
stuff working properly.
Whether you compile tcl/tk with threads support doesn't matter, the
problem *lies* in the python layer. It might work on your machine, but
it's guaranteed to work elsewhere.
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tkinter-discuss/2008-October/001677.html
Anyway, if you need a multithreaded Tkinter, then you'll have to build
mtTkinter which is not packaged for Fedora at that time.

AFAIK, your Python/Tkinter installation *does* as it's supposed to do.

> I am not talking about developing systems, but learning python.
> tkinter
> is part of python, which makes it very easy to write simple programs,
> and run in Windows, for instance (I know there is PyQt for windows,  >
but one has to go to Riverbank...).

PyQt4 is dual licensed on all platforms, there are even GPL'ed windows
binaries on Riverbank site. You'll need a commercial license only if
you're unable to distribute your code in a GPL compatible license.

H.