How to lure me to updates-testing

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 1 04:25:30 UTC 2010

 Some of these require yum/yum-utils from rawhide...

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 14:59 -0600, Nathanael Noblet wrote:

> #1) Easy way to know where a package came from.
>
> 	For example, as far as I am aware, I cannot query anything that tells
> me X packages are from Y repo. If I were to become a 100% always
> enabled updates-testing, most of my packages would be from that repo,
> however if I only do it occasionally I'd just have to remember

 If you just want a summary, you can do (depending on what you want to
know):

 repoquery --installed -a --qf '%{ui_from_repo}' | sort | uniq -c
 repoquery --installed -a --qf '%{yumdb_info.from_repo}' | sort | uniq -c

...or the easier to type/remember but maybe less likely what you want:

 yum version -v nogroups

...if you could give us a better idea of what you are trying to do we
might be able to make something more usable.

> #2 ) Easy way to downgrade if I were to run into problems
>
> 	I understand that this isn't foolproof, and that for some issues (some huge glibc error) my system could conceivably require advanced knowledge to boot into a rescue mode, download packages and force the downgrade. However some way to view the updates-testing packages I have installed, and downgrade to the 'released' version would be awesome.

 As Seth said you can use "downgrade" and/or "history undo" now. You'll
also be able to use distro-sync soon, which should give you a "fix
everything now" option.

> #5) Easy way to turn on/off my willingness to use updates-testing.
>
> 	Sometimes I could be busy and only want tested updates, it would be nice if this imaginary tool I'm describing allowed me to say I'm done testing for now, and it deals with disabling the repo and any reminders. If there was some nice tool to deal with updates-testing enabling and the inclusion/exclusion of packages I wanted to test and all that I laid out I would be on it in a second, and I'm guessing you'd have even more testers.

 The way I do this is have updates-testing disabled _always_. And then
use yum-plugin-aliases and then "yum chkT" and "yum upT blah" / "yum inT
blah" to check, update and install with updates-testing enabled.
 Atm. I just enable updates-testing, but hopefully we'll eventually get
to a place where we can enabled based on repodata tags and those aliases
will also enable rpmfusion-*testing etc. if you have the main repos.
enabled.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.28
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumBenchmarks