Bodhi 0.7.5 release

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Jul 1 21:55:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 02:13:59PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 7/1/10 2:48 AM, Till Maas wrote:
> > How do you know who is a minority and who is not? I still wonder why
> > there are so many claims that the majority of Fedora maintainers or
> > users want to manually test all updates, but still the majority is not
> > involved in testing the updates. When the discussion started, it was
> > claimed that submitting karma was too complicated and took too much
> > time. This is not the case for several months, but still there are
> > updates that do not receive any karma for more than a month. The last
> > Bodhi statistics showed 595 unique karma submitters for F13 and there
> > seem to be 1035 approved packagers currently in Fedora. So if only
> > packagers submitted karma, it would be the majority. But since there are
> > a lotsmore users and also dedicated testers for Fedora, it does not look
> > like a majority anymore.
> >

> Simply, if it's not mandatory, it's too easy to be lazy and not do it.
> But when it is mandatory, more people participate.

Do the participate because they care or because they have to to get the
things they care about done, when it is mandatory? I am very convinced
that people who care about something will do it nonetheless, even if it
is not mandatory and people who do something only because it is
mandatory will perform not as good as convinced people, i.e. "bend" the
rules to achieve what needs to be achieved with as little effort as
possible instead of trying to be as good as one can be. I also found
some other interesting number. According to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Accounts_2010-02.jpg there are more
than 25.000 active Fedora Accounts. So for a majority there would be
more than 12.500 people wanting manual testings and only about 5% of this
interested people care enough to submit at least one karma comment in
Bodhi for Fedora 13. And
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics#Who_uses_Fedora.3F claims that
even millions of people use Fedora. But I guess somehow it boils down to
"the majority wants that other people to work for them", which might
even be true. But in a FOSS community I doubt it is very healthy to
follow this too much.

Regards
Till