concept of package "ownership"

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Fri Jul 2 00:05:29 UTC 2010

I agree.  The relevant concept is not "owner", but "sucker", or "victim".
When businessspeak people say someone "owns" a piece of work, what they
mean is to identify the person as the recipient of problems, complaints,
pleas for help, and perhaps even, rarely, praise, regarding the state of
the work.  We don't own the code, the code owns us.  It knows where we
live, and it keeps bringing people over and expecting us to feed them.

When a robot sends me email via an alias that ends with "-owner",
I never, ever, get the feeling that I am the one in charge.

Thanks,
Roland