concept of package "ownership"

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 2 04:28:09 UTC 2010

I don't think it really matters what we call it, I just think that
package maintainers are starting to get a sense of entitlement and I
feel that's counter productive to the open environment we're used to
and are trying to help continue to grow.

The package "owner" gets emails about cvs commits, so they are always
aware of what's going on and can review the changes to packages they
maintain. In the event of a discrepancy then the person receiving the
email obviously has an email account and can easily email the person
who made the edit in order to extend a friendly inquiry as to the
change. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

I for one welcome co-maintainers because I'm a big fan of
collaboration and a sense of community, and if I can't trust my fellow
community member and contributor to help in the maintenance of
packages that I just so happen to have a bit flipped for in the pkgdb,
then I'm in the wrong place.

-AdamM

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com