rebuild of wxGTK without the internal crash handler in Rawhide

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Fri Jul 2 10:58:40 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler píše v Pá 02. 07. 2010 v 04:06 +0200:
> Dan Horák wrote:
> > I will rebuild wxGTK without the internal crash handler for the the
> > devel/F14 branch so we can use ABRT to report crashes from wxGTK-based
> > apps. This will mean a rebuild of wxGTK with --disable-catch_segvs and
> > this change affects all applications linked with wxGTK, because one
> > symbol is removed from the "base" library. I will take care of
> > rebuilding the packages in the next days, but the package owners should
> > still check what is their implementation of the
> > wxApp::OnFatalExpection() virtual method doing, because it will not be
> > called anymore. Usually it is used to display the wxGTK-based crash
> > report. Please let me know if you want to rebuild the package yourself
> > or if you have some questions.
>
> Do you really think this is a good idea? IMHO crash reports should go
> upstream, so using upstream's crash handler is a much better idea. ABRT
> spams our downstream Bugzilla with crash reports which really should go
> upstream instead. It's also technically nicer for the crash handler to be in
> the app, since it prevents having to dump core and then having an external
> process inspect the core dump.

But the default crash handler only creates a text file with a rather
useless stack trace and the file is stored on the local computer. So in
fact the crash is lost for everybody but the concrete user who usually
can do nothing with it.

If someone from the application maintainers will come with an argument
against, we can discuss a better solution.

Dan