who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 12:54:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 21:58:10 +1000, Dave wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 13:55 +0200, Léon Keijser wrote:

> > > Of course there is. There ought to be prior communication about such plans
> > > to upgrade a package. The primary package maintainer may have good reasons
> > > for not upgrading the package. Just ask!
> >
> > I think you are spot-on with this comment. There probably wouldn't be
> > such a discussion if the (proven)packager simply stated his intentions
> > to the package maintainer.
> >

> That doesn't really scale, on a single package basis yeah maybe, if I
> have to bump 10 or 15 packages after a mass rebuild it get ugly quick.

Could be that devel list is doomed. Normal mass-rebuilds most of the time
are not a problem at all. If, however, with "bump 10 or 15 packages" you
include a "version-upgrade of 10 or 15 packages", then we're not talking
about the same thing.

> You get mails from CVS, its all in version control, if you disagree with
> what they did, back it out, state in the spec  what they did wrong.

Would only work if nothing got built already. Else an Epoch bump would be
needed for version upgrades the maintainer doesn't agree with.