who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 16:07:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:26:32AM +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Dne 2.7.2010 09:37, Rahul Sundaram napsal(a):
> >   On 07/02/2010 12:57 PM, Josephine Tannhäuser wrote:
> >> It's seems to me that you have to be an employee of red hat to get the
> >> privilegue to deal arbitrarily with all packages.
> >
> > Incorrect.  Anyone in the provenpackagers group has access to almost all
> > packages.  The one exception being Mozilla.  There is nothing Red Hat
> > specific about it.
>
> a) even more strongly, being a Red Hat employee doesn't give you
> anything ... you have to go through the Fedora provenpackager process

One thing that being a RH employee does give you is access to people who are
willing to sponsor you into the packager group more quickly than has
traditionally been the case in Fedora.  However, that's changing as *Fedora*
has tried to move to a model of sponsorship into the packager group that is
quicker.

My clarification doesn't impact provenpackager at all.

> b) if you don't like provenpackagers to mess with your packages, go and
> make a switch in pkgdb.

Actually, when FESCo was deciding whether to open all packages to
provenpackager, they also decided to disable the ability to change whether
provenpackager could be turned on and off.  I believe the idea was that
provenpackager should have access to almost everything.  The firefox and
thunderbird packages (because of trademark) were the one exception.
Membership in provenpackager is the means for deciding whether someone is
responsible enough to wield that power.

-Toshio