concept of package "ownership"

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jul 3 01:40:57 UTC 2010

Thomas Janssen wrote:
> You have to accept the maintainers decision to not update it yet? What
> do you think will happen if everyone builds the wishes he has and
> breaks a lot of stuff with it? Anarchy? We have processes for that in
> Fedora: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MikeKnox/AWOL_Maintainers

It is part of the Fedora Objectives:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives
to "be on the leading edge of free and open source technology". Given that,
it is completely unacceptable to not upgrade software to the current release
in Rawhide (within a reasonable timeframe, of course we're all not available
24/7) unless there's a really good reason to (in which case that reason
ought to be given in the bug report asking for the upgrade!), especially
when upstream is asking for their software to be upgraded.

So the maintainer's decision (assuming there even WAS a decision rather than
just lack of time or worse) goes against Fedora's Objectives and so it's not
OK to say that it should just get accepted.

We should really be more aggressive about allowing to upgrade other people's
packages in Rawhide if the maintainers don't do it within a reasonable
timeframe and don't document any good reason not to do the upgrade.

        Kevin Kofler