concept of package "ownership"

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 3 15:09:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Thomas Janssen wrote:
>> I'm sorry, i can't agree with you here. Being more aggressive, putting
>> pressure on whatever just to have the latest versions of all the
>> software around in rawhide, sounds to me like we would go and break
>> rawhide a lot.
>> I thought rawhide should be more useful and less broken if i recall
>> the latest threads right. Anyways, exactly that's why i do *not* want
>> anybody can do anything with any package. That's just insane, sorry.
>
> This is Fedora. Debian is that <http://www.debian.org/> way.
>
> Please don't destroy what Fedora is all about. If we don't focus on
> packaging the latest software anymore, we will just be another Debian or
> Ubuntu.

I'm with Fedora because we have the latest and greatest. Though
blindly, aggressively bomb in the latest releases if they're
compatible or not is the wrong way. Doing that breaks even koji from
time to time (thanks for our real quick rel-eng helping out there).
BTW is there a big difference between being a stable Debian or doing
the latest and greatest updates the smart way. I know that you know
that as well.
Just recall from time to time that putting too much pressure and being
too aggressive is often counter productive.
I generally trust in our maintainers that they know what they do. So
if they hold an update back will be for something good. We have
processes for everything else.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium