gcc-4.5-RH in F14

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 9 01:02:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 09:18 +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> F14 now has gcc-4.5-RH compiler instead of 4.4-RH.
> For the changes (especially user visible ones), see
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.5/changes.html
> (though the list contains even many features that have been
> backported to 4.4-RH.  I had to backport even over 100 of changes
> that were backported to 4.4-RH from trunk already, but aren't on
> 4.5 branch).  Unless using decimal float, the compiler should be ABI
> compatible with 4.4-RH, including the libraries (which ought to be backwards
> compatible).
>
> If you experience any internal compiler errors or other compiler bugs,
> please file them into bugzilla.
>
> Please don't rely on LTO in 4.5, it is not mature enough (especially -fwhopr
> is completely unusable, -flto only barely so), things will get better
> in GCC 4.6.

This has a multilib problem. libstdc++ has a few of the same files in
both the x86-64 and i686 packages, making it impossible to have both
installed (which should be possible, and is in F13).

The files are a few Python bits
in /usr/share/gcc-4.5.0/python/libstdcxx/v6/ .
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey