gcc-4.5-RH in F14

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 04:38:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 08:48:29PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > This is accurate.
> >
> > the files must be identical if they are not elf binaries.
>
> I think the .py[co] files embed timestamps or something like that.
> So they are nonidentical but not actually different at all.

The embedded timestamps are of the *.py files from which the .py[co] are
generated.  So if the .py files have the same timestamps in both then the
*.py[co] will have the same checksum.  But there could be something in the
build process that's changing the timestamps of the .py files....

> You want all python to be in things that you don't want two of, AFAICT.
>
> In general one could split out a -headers subpackage with the headers and
> the python.  But the rawhide libstdc++-devel actually has nothing but the
> headers anyway (with libstdc++-static split out), so just the python there
> would make you only ever want libstdc++-devel.x86_64 and you can compile
> with -m32 just with matching-version libstdc++.i686 installed.

If the headers and python truly aren't different between the x86 and x86_64
build, then you could mark the rawhide libstdc++-devel package as noarch.

-Toshio