Python 2.7 status: mass rebuild of python packages requested

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Fri Jul 9 14:33:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 23:39 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 20:02 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> > Here's where we are on Python 2.7 for Fedora 14: [1]
> >
> > I've updated my python src.rpm to 2.7 final (rather than the 2.7rc2 I
> > had previously):
> > http://dmalcolm.fedorapeople.org/python-packaging/python-2.7-3.fc14.src.rpm
> >
> > You can see/download a successful scratch build of this here:
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2305942
> >
> > If you want to test this, that would be great, but you need a
> > "sacrificial" rawhide machine, as e.g. yum isn't going to work
> > afterwards! (perhaps as a virtual machine)
> >

> 1. Great work!
> 2. When you say yum isn't going towork - you mean b/c none of its
> modules will be available or do you mean there is something in yum
> that's not working for 2.7?

Sorry, I should have been clearer here.

I was purely referring to the fact that none of the modules will be
available until they're rebuilt for 2.7: I've been testing by doing the
upgrade with "--nodeps", so all of the support modules e.g. "rpm" happen
to be missing.

I don't know of any specific 2.7 incompatibilities.

Dave