gcc-4.5-RH in F14

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 9 16:28:46 UTC 2010

Hello Chen,

Thursday, July 8, 2010, 12:05:43 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> 2010/7/8 Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com>:
>> Generally, much better speedup can be achieved by using PGO
>> (-fprofile-generate, run on some testsuite, -fprofile-use).
>> GCC itself is built that way for several years, but it would be useful if
>> other performance sensitive packages were built that way too, assuming they
>> have some testsuite which resembles common use.
>>
>> E.g. bash can be easily trained on some configure or some other
>> large shell scripts, similarly for python, perl, ...
>> The speedups from this can go up to say 30% or so.
>>
>>        Jakub

I  would suggest doing PGO for the following:

- Compression-type  utilities  (gz,  zip,  unzip,  7zip,  etc),
  especially those libraries used by RPM to generate/process deltas.

- Helper routines used by yum to extract dependencies

- X-Windows  server and libraries used for 2D and 3D display such as
  opengl, compiz, etc.

- All  programs  measured under the Phoronix benchmarks.  If we don't,
  all we do is guarantee easy ways for other distributions to beat us.

I  know  doing  it  for  all  critical-path components is not easy (or
practical)  for the F14 timeframe. Those component lists would however
be  a  good place to look for low-hanging fruit - those programs whose
performance affects the system as a whole.

Al