gcc-4.5-RH in F14

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 10:44:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 12:54:35PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Do you plan on doing a mass rebuild?
>
> I don't think it is necessary, at least not for the reason of a compiler
> upgrade.  The mass rebuilds are usually done when we have some toolchain
> or rpm feature that we want to push into all packages.

I watched the thread to see if anyone else would mention this...

But I think it's undesirable to ship packages that couldn't be
recompiled under the system compiler. ... and without doing the mass
rebuild you won't know of the potential build failures.

Not by itself a killer reason— there are many other possible causes
for a package not being buildable on an installed system. But it's a
factor which should be considered.

Also— I think it is undesirable for a minor security fix to change the
compiler a package is built with during a release... while the
security fix may have been carefully validated as safe the compiler
switchover may have more significant unexpected side effects. If
programs start failing due to security updates, users stop running
security updates.  If not doing a mass rebuild would result in this
happening, thats another consideration.