Bug 531464 - why the WONTFIX?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 11 11:22:17 UTC 2010

Am Sonntag, den 11.07.2010, 06:14 +0200 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > I don't know if Fedora has an official stance documented somewhere, but
> > I personally would support Eric's viewpoint.  A Fedora maintainer should
> > be responsible for all the bugs in the package, even if that just means
> > forwarding them upstream.

It is indeed documented in the wiki: "If there are bugs which you aren't
capable of fixing yourself because they deal with intricacies of the
source code which you don't fully understand, then you still need to
address these bugs. It can be helpful to work with the upstream
maintainer of the code, ..."
see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintainer_responsibilities

> Reporters are encouraged to help out by
> > forwarding bugs themselves, just as contributions to Fedora are
> > encouraged in general, but to close the bug because they decline to do
> > so is bogus.
>
> Upstream wants to talk to somebody who's actually experiencing the problem,
> not to a forwarding monkey.

FWIW backtraces are very useful for the upstream developers and most of
the time they are self explanatory for them. What more info should they
want?

Ask yourself: What do we gain, if we gather all these backtraces in
bugzilla and then close them WONTFIX? It's more work for the users, the
maintainers and the bugzappers, but we gain nothing. Seems like a bad
deal, thus we should forward the bugs.

Regards,
Christoph