Bug 531464 - why the WONTFIX?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jul 12 20:03:12 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) said:
> >> if the reporter refuses to
> >> do that, it's only pure laziness.
> >
> > Maybe, but that's no justification to close the Fedora bug.
>
> Sure it is. If the reporter is too lazy to do even very simple tasks to get
> his/her bug fixed, why should I work for free for him/her? I'm neither the
> reporter's slave nor his/her paid contractor.

Frankly, I find this attitude bad for the project. If you're packaging
something for Fedora, you *are* doing a service to the userbase, and you
are responsible to the userbase for what you do. Honestly, it smacks of
laziness on the part of the maintainer, and certainly isn't going to give
the reporter a good view of Fedora if they're called lazy, or are
responded to with "I'm not your slave!"  Sure, it's easier if the reporter
can/does report it upstream, but I don't think that should be a required
level of interaction.

If you get a reasonable amount of data from the reporter to make a good,
reproducible, bug report, I don't see any reason at all why the maintainer
shouldn't forward it upstream themselves.

Bill