Bug 531464 - why the WONTFIX?

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Mon Jul 12 21:25:57 UTC 2010

On 07/12/2010 04:45 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Przemek Klosowski
> <przemek.klosowski at nist.gov>  wrote:
>> Every file outside of this 'core examples' set could print the message
>> "This example's functionality may depend on the specific configuration
>> of matplotlib and other packages". Even better, could it be in some sort
>> of try/catch block?
>
> Uhm, I'm much more inclined to remove examples completely than I am to
> modify each and everyone with a downstream specific patch to meet a
> subjective requirement on what appropriate notice. If a single
> additional boilerplate file in the examples directory is not enough...
> then I'll just get rid of them entirely and avoid the issue of
> accidental confusion concerning what is and what is not _supported_.

If you kill all of them you'd get rid of the ones you suggested for a
legit AutoQA tests. I agree about the ugliness of modifying every
example file. Perhaps a directory examplesThatShouldWork with symlinks
to the "OK" set? Maybe that's too obtrusive. What about a script that
would be the basis for the autoQA run:

/usr/share/doc/python-matplotlib-0.99.1.2/examples/README.fedora

containing:

#!/bin/sh
# Examples provided with matplotlib may depend on other software being
# installed. The examples invoked in this file are supposed to work
# on a Fedora installation; other examples may not run or give errors.

python mplot3d/bars3d_demo.py