Developers of packages please pay attention to selinux labeling.

Carl Gaudreault carl.gaudreault at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 16:17:34 UTC 2010

Pádraig Brady wrote:

>Nobody I know enables SELinux.
>smolt says about half leave it enabled:
>http://smolts.org/static/stats/stats.html
>But I'm guessing a lot of experienced users/devs
>disable it given previous experiences...

It's closer to 70% actually, also consider the 18.7% being market as
"Unknown".

>Personally I do momentarily enable to test but always disable
>because of hundreds of errors in the applet thingy.

If you have _hundreds_ of errors with SELinux, i'm afraid you are
exaggerating, using a custom policy or you might have a serious labeling issue
:

touch /.autorelabel
reboot

My system is running as staff_u, and i don't remember reporting more than 20-30
AVCs over now almost a year. If you think it might be an issue with the
policy, you should report those bugs into RHBZ.

>Enabling in non enforcing mode causes a huge performance hit,
>causing for example the "do you want to kill" dialog to pop up
>when I try to quit firefox.

Can you measure the *huge* performance hit, i would be interested to see your
numbers. As far as i'm aware, the performance hit of SELinux is around 5-7%.

>But I'm guessing a lot of experienced users/devs
>disable it given previous experiences...

Well, they should reconsider their decision and just take a look at how many
user space tools are available to make their life easier.

The FUD about SELinux need to stop.