[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jul 14 15:48:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:58:07 -0400
Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Lennart Poettering (mzerqung at 0pointer.de) said:
> > Since the acceptance by FESCO it has been added to Rawhide together
> > with patched or updated versions of a few related packages.
> > However, what has not been done so far is making it the default in
> > Rawhide. So far it does not "Obsolete" Upstart yet, just
> > "Conflicts" with it. With this mail I want to notify everybody that
> > I am planning to do this change very soon now (tomorrow?). Then,
> > systemd will be pulled in onto your rawhide system and is used
> > exclusively for booting (so far, you can still choose between it
> > and upstart in grub, with a default on upstart), and problems
> > booting should be reported to systemd in rhbz then.
>
> This seems a little backwards. If we want to support both, then we
> need to just leave it as 'Conflicts', and we'll just flip the default
> in comps. By marking it as 'Obsoletes', you effectively make it
> impossible to still boot with upstart, as it will be removed in any
> yum update.

I agree. Please don't Obsolete upstart.

Lets just flip it in comps/new installs/live media and see how it goes.

We also still have initng around, so I don't see why we should remove
upstart for those that choose to keep using it, as well as have some
way for people to get back to a booting system for debugging in case
they run into a systemd issue they cannot immediately solve.

Looking forward to playing with systemd... ;)

kevin