cmake guideline updates

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Jul 14 17:08:17 UTC 2010

On 07/14/2010 10:06 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 10:58 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> On 06/28/2010 03:27 PM, Kalev Lember wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps it'd be better to completely remove -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=ON
>>> from the default %cmake macro? I would imagine that most (all?)
>>> libraries which are meant to be actually used as shared libraries
>>> contain explicit add_library(... SHARED) and set_target_properties(...
>>> PROPERTIES VERSION ... SOVERSION ...) calls, but maybe that's not how it
>>> is. Any thoughts whether removing BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON would break
>>> existing packages?
>>
>> Sorry for not replying earlier.
>>
>> Looking at my existing cmake built packages, I'm a bit leery of this change.
>> Most of them don't seem to specify SHARED in add_library.  Has anyone tested
>> this out on a large number of packages?  Perhaps it makes sense to request a
>> cmake koji build tag for this and rebuild all cmake built packages there.
>
> Either way, I'm sure we'd be up to the task of clearly documenting the
> behavior change, and helping fix/cleanup any resulting messes.
>
> Discounting how much actually breakage ensues, on principal how do you
> feel about this change?

I'm of two minds:

- It's good to have the %cmake macro has as little hidded vodoo in it as possible.

- Fedora strongly encourages shared libraries as shared libraries are good.
If a package really wants a static library it should explicitly state it.

I'm fine for trying it, but we really should have a mass cmake rebuild
afterwards to shake out the issues.

I'm moving this to fedora-devel to get more comment.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com