[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 14 17:25:47 UTC 2010

B1;2401;0cOn Wed, 14.07.10 13:01, Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering (mzerqung at 0pointer.de) said:
> > Well, I don't think we want to support both. I believe F14 should be
> > systemd and only systemd, but we want the option to revert to upstart
> > should that not work out.
> >
> > I am very much interested to get upgraded systems to use systemd as
> > well, which is why I'd really like to go the Obsoletes way, and use a
> > versioned Obsoletes, so that we can switch back to upstart if we want to
> > by another versioned Obsoletes, but this time from upstart. (which is
> > exactly what James Antill proposed in his mail)
> >
> > Or in other words: I'd like to make this switch for the whole distro,
> > not leave it to the individual machines.
> >
> > So, unless there is really strong opposition to the Obsoletes approach
> > I'd go on and do the switch?
>
> If we're at the... 95% coverage case, I guess. What I don't want is that
> machines suddenly stop booting with no recourse other than init=/bin/bash
> and manual recovery. There are some side cases that would be nice to either
> have working, or documenting that they're not done yet (serial consoles,
> assorted other things.)

Well, I am not sure what you mean by 95% coverage case. Minus bugs we
should have 99.9% compatibility with SysV init right now. And those bugs
we don't find if people don't use things. Feature-wise systemd is
definitely "complete", bug-wise not really since it got only limited testing
so far.

Note that my rawhide machine I updated all the way from F7 or so, and it
still works. If other rawhide folks are like me they are not going to
reinstall rawhide just for the fun of it, but just upgrade their
development machines. I want those to upgrade to systemd, too.

Note that our sysv compat even goes so far that you can pass the old
runlevels on the kernel command line and systemd should do the right
thing. i.e. if you pass "S" on the kernel command line systemd will take
that as hint to enter its "rescue" mode, which is mostly equivalent to
the old runlevel 1/S. So I guess what I am saying is that debugging
won't be that different from debugging a sysv machine.

There's also the systemd.unit= kernel command line option which you may
use to boot into different targets. See the feature page for details.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.