[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 14 17:37:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14.07.10 10:16, John Reiser (jreiser at bitwagon.com) wrote:

> >  What I don't want is that
> > machines suddenly stop booting with no recourse other than init=/bin/bash
> > and manual recovery. There are some side cases that would be nice to either
> > have working, or documenting that they're not done yet (serial consoles,
> > assorted other things.)
>
> Right this moment, rawhide+pungi+anaconda+yum cannot install from DVD.
> Not having a serial console will make a bad situation worse.

When systemd talks to the console it uses only /dev/console, never
something like /dev/tty1. That means if the serial console works at all
it should work with systemd as well.

Note that I have developed most of systemd by running it in a kvm
machine with serial console on my terminal. That always worked fine
(though I must admit that the last weeks I have exclusively tested i on
real machines).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.