[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 14 18:13:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14.07.10 13:44, Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering (mzerqung at 0pointer.de) said:
> > There's also the systemd.unit= kernel command line option which you may
> > use to boot into different targets. See the feature page for details.
>
> Does it pull this from inittab if there's no other configuration for
> this?

Ok. You got me on this one. Systemd does actually not parse the
inittab. That cruft looked a bit too ugly and clumsy and old for us to
support.

However, we have added replcacements for everything is was used
for. i.e. the gettys are started now via normal services.

The replacement for the default runlevel stuff is a symlink in
/etc/systemd/system. You could do this:

/etc/systemd/system/default.target → /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target

to avoid the graphical UI, and boot into the text console only
(i.e. much like the old runlevel 3)

Or you could do this:

/etc/systemd/system/default.target → /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target

to boot into the graphical stuff by default. This is the default as we
package it.

And the admin could even define additional targets, to achieve different
system profiles he can boot into or switch forth and back to and from,
and give it arbitrary names, and even pull in any of the targets we ship
by default.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.