[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 14 18:48:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14.07.10 13:45, Matthias Clasen (mclasen at redhat.com) wrote:

> > To achieve what you want to do upstart would need to support something
> > similar: make it possible to install it without insisting on the
> > /sbin/init file name and related ones, and then add in those names via
> > symlinks only by a an upstart-sysvinit package or so. But upstart
> > doesn't support something like that. Sorry.
>
> Would alternatives work here ?

Yes, the alternatives system would probably work. However, I think there
are things where it is a good idea to use and where it isn't. And I
think this case is one of the latter.  If we go down the switchable init
via symlinks route then i'd prefer if we did this via
installing/removing packages, not via the alternatives system.

i.e. if people want to keep upstart around then somebody should sit down
and prep packages which move all upstart binaries to other names and
then introduces a package upstart-sysvinit which then symlinks the names
to the old sysv command names. People could then install that package
and uninstall systemd-sysvinit to switch the default, while keeping both
systems around and accessible via init= on the kernel cmdline.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.