[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 14 20:03:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 21:08 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 14.07.10 14:24, Jeff Garzik (jgarzik at pobox.com) wrote:
>
> > > /etc/systemd/system. You could do this:
> > >
> > > /etc/systemd/system/default.target → /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target
> > >
> > > to avoid the graphical UI, and boot into the text console only
> > > (i.e. much like the old runlevel 3)
> > >
> > > Or you could do this:
> > >
> > > /etc/systemd/system/default.target → /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target
> > >
> > > to boot into the graphical stuff by default. This is the default as we
> > > package it.
> >
> > Or you could just parse inittab and notice when runlevel 3 was listed.
> > Keeps everything nice and compatible, including existing manuals and
> > books, and sysadmin knowledge.
>
> Is this really such a biggie? I mean Upstart ignores inittab too, the
> only option it still takes into account is this default runlevel and
> that only via some shell hackery.
>
> We go one step further and also ignore that one line.

 That one line is quite important though. I'm also not sure what you
gain by not parsing it. Just have:

/lib/systemd/system/1.target => single-user.target
/lib/systemd/system/3.target => multi-user.target
/lib/systemd/system/5.target => graphical.target

...and use the target specified by that one line. At some point much
later we can then change the inittag to runlevel "default", and it'll
work as it does now.

> Let's keep things simple, do the clean cut, document that in the file
> itself and point people to the right and modern approach.

 I think you mean being fully back compat. with all of inittab is "not
simple", but I doubt Jeff was asking for that (given that, as you say,
upstart is in RHEL-6 and doesn't). But adding a few lines of C code to
parse the default runlevel out of inittab seems pretty simple and would
bring with it a lot of backwards compat.