[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 14 20:38:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14.07.10 16:03, James Antill (james at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> > > Or you could just parse inittab and notice when runlevel 3 was listed.
> > > Keeps everything nice and compatible, including existing manuals and
> > > books, and sysadmin knowledge.
> >
> > Is this really such a biggie? I mean Upstart ignores inittab too, the
> > only option it still takes into account is this default runlevel and
> > that only via some shell hackery.
> >
> > We go one step further and also ignore that one line.
>
>  That one line is quite important though. I'm also not sure what you
> gain by not parsing it.

Well, the way things are designed is that we read compat configuration
only if no native configuration for this particular item
exists. Example: we read /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon if
/lib/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service does not exist. This is
followed everywhere else too.

Now, if we translate the same logic to inittab we'd have to check
/etc/systemd/systemd/default.target first, and if that doesn't exist
fallback to /etc/inittab. However, that symlink will always exist
because we ship it in the rpm and we want people to use it. Which makes
the fallback kinda useless, unless we tell people to rm the symlink when
they edit inittab. However, if they do that they could just update the
symlink to point to the right place directly. Which is why I think
compat for that line in inittab is really not necessary.

> Just have:
>
> /lib/systemd/system/1.target => single-user.target
> /lib/systemd/system/3.target => multi-user.target
> /lib/systemd/system/5.target => graphical.target

This exists already, though we called it runlevel2.target and
similar. Runlevel symlinks for 0,1,6 are placed in /lib/systemd/system,
and those for 2-5 are in /etc/systemd/system, so that the admin can have
changing them if he feels like it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.