[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Jul 14 23:42:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 01:29 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

[long comparsion elided...]

> Or to explain this with a table, showing you what verbs most people
> would probably use for four kinds (of the ten) of objects that are
> managed by systemd:
>
>  Services:     Started | Stopped
>  Socket:         Bound | Unbound
>  Devices:   Plugged In | Plugged Out
>  Mounts:       Mounted | Unmounted
>
> And we noticed that, and when we looked for more abstract terms that
> could cover all three cases, we cam up with this:
>
>  Units:         Active | Inactive

Hey Lennart, instead of going all defensive here, I think it would be
good to simply acknowledge that we are currently missing a 'friendly
introduction to systemd' targeting sysadmins (or even regular users).
The paragraph I cited above could be a nice start for a section in that
document.

> Oh, that's really not fair... SysV only covers a tiny fraction of what
> Upstart cover or even systemd cover.
>
> > - upstart: 	19
> > - systemd: 	62
>
> Well, but the systemd unit files are trivial to understand. If you
> honestly claim that the systemd unit files are harder to understand than
> shell monsters you find ind /etc/init.d then I'll go and shoot myself.
>
> Look at the contents of those files. See how tiny they are!

Well, I have to agree with notting that the sheer number of them is
confusing, and if I look at how tiny they are, it makes me scratch my
head even more: e.g. dbus.target:

[Unit]
Description=D-Bus

Whats the point of all these empty targets ? Who are they good for ? My
understanding so far was that targets collect groups of units for pure
convenience, but this target does not collect anything...