Runlevel subsys re-verification via /etc/rc (was RE: [HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jul 15 00:07:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14.07.10 15:55, Cleaver, Japheth (jcleaver at soe.sony.com) wrote:

> 2) How will systemd handle telinit/runlevel cases with the existing
> runlevel? Is there a way to verify (from a logical init/subsys
> perspective only) that what should be running in your runlevel is?

Not sure I fully grok the question, but we translate telinit requests,
so that "telinit 3" is kinda equivalent to "systemctl isolate
runlevel3.target".

Note that on systemd multiple targets can be active at the same time and
that includes that e.g. "runlevel3.target" and "runlevel4.target" could
be active at the same time. In the event this happens the "runlevel"
command will return the highest runlevel target that is active. This
makes a lot of sense I believe, given that graphical.target (which we
alias to runlevel5.target) pulls in multi-user.target (which we alias to
runlevel3.target).

Also note that in systemd it is easily possible to have no
runlevel.target running at all. In that case the runlevel command will
just say "N".

And the subsys stuff is not really necessary in a systemd world. If sysv
scripts continue to create those files its fine, but systemd won't take
notice and it won't create any files like this for native units. The
subsys stuff is an attempt to properly synchronize service activation
without a central daemon. Since we now have that those files are kinda
unnecessary.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.