[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jul 15 15:47:00 UTC 2010

Alexander Boström (abo at root.snowtree.se) said:
> > If I added inittab parsing support even when keeping "native breaks
> > legacy" around, then inittab would matter only if the default.target
> > symlink doesn't exist.

To go back to upstart, one of the reason upstart parses inittab for
the default runlevel is because it doesn't actually have a configuration
store for this elsewhere. So it's simplest to just use the legacy
config there.

> But I do think the %postinstall script, if it's an install and not an
> update, should check the contents of inittab and set the symlink
> accordingly. Otherwise an upgrade to a new release might make the system
> start X when it didn't do that before, which would be bad.

This part I agree with... we shouldn't be changing people's systems on
upgrade.

Bill