recoll review request help : using modified versions of libraries for build

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 15:51:59 UTC 2010

On 07/14/2010 09:55 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:

> It seems he has lifted code from some of these and used it rather than
> using them as libs?
>
> Do I ask them to send these to upstream? These modifications are
> specific for the recoll package only it seems.

I haven't looked closely at this specific case but the general idea is
that if a project A is modifying B and not discussing those
modifications at all with B, then we end up having duplicated code
instead of having project B being enhanced by A's contributions.  In
that sense,  it is always a good idea for A to talk to B and see if the
changes can somehow be merged back instead of being specialized to A.
If it is indeed impossible, you might ask the person submitting the
review to file a ticket with FESCo, make their case and get a exception
to our guidelines.

Rahul