[HEADS-UP] The systemd unit files I'll post

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jul 15 17:04:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, 15.07.10 11:02, Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) wrote:

> Once upon a time, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> said:
> > We have a bug open with CUPS trying to generate SSL certs on the first
> > connections, being too slow and causing the client to timeout.
> > So no, you can't make assumptions here.
>
> Dovecot generating its SSL parameters can take 10 seconds on the first
> startup, so that would be another one with a problem.

In contrast to SSH it is very unlikely that dovecot will run on
non-server systems. However on server systems on-demand spawning of
services is much less desirable. Socket activation doesn't matter to
server software like IMAP servers really, and and neither does on-demand
generation on SSL certificates. If you run a server then you want to
have the daemons run right on bootup, and generate the SSL before that.

Or in other words, dovecot is not the primary focus of systemd. It can't
hurt to support socket-activation in it too (for example to allow
restarting of it without losing a single connection), and it cannot hurt
shipping native systemd unit files for it either, but really, it's not
the first priority for now.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.