recoll review request help : using modified versions of libraries for build

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:08:17 UTC 2010

On 07/15/2010 10:06 PM, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote
> Especially in the case of Binc, I find it a bit strange that Fedora rules
> would appear to forbid code reuse. This goes quite a bit against common
> wisdom. Not all interesting code is published as a library, or maintained,
> and sometimes the only way to reuse is to copy and modify and it's a quite
> valuable way (compared to rewriting from scratch).

There is no such rules forbidding code reuse.   Perhaps you can read the
guidelines yourself and see

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

IMO, the Binc case is permissible but the Unac issue still needs a
discussion with FESCo to get an exception for the current guidelines
since the bundled code has been orphaned upstream.   I have done so at

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/431

Rahul