[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jul 15 21:58:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, 15.07.10 23:32, Alexander Boström (abo at root.snowtree.se) wrote:

> > > Why would you ignore the exit code?  If you can't make the directory and
> > > set the context, you shouldn't start the service.
> >
> > Well, dunno, maybe if SELinux is disabled via selinux=0 restorcon fails?
>
> Nah, please don't hide errors like that. It just makes things harder to
> debug.

Oh, we just ignore them for the sake of control flow, we do record them
for each each command we exectute and make them easily accessible in via
"systemctl status foo.service". i.e. i think we are well advised often
to let those errors go through will still keeping track of them

> > The default is of course to check all return values, i.e. you have to
> > explicitly prefix the commands with "-" to ignore them.
>
> Is this feature really necessary? I think it would be best to avoid
> using it...

It is actually a very recent feature we added. The reason was basically
that we want to invoke 'plymouth' to disable the splash screen when
showing the emergency or rescue prompt. however, if the system was
not booted up with plymouth enabled that command will fail, and that's
completely fine.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.