trouble locally reproducing koji build error

John5342 john5342 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 20:46:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 20:52, Zach Carter <z.carter at f5.com> wrote:
> On Friday 16 July 2010 00:36:31 Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> > Any insight, tips or pointers would be much appreciated.
>>
>> You could modify the spec file to cat the config.log file on error,
>> which should give you more clues.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I did that and got a more verbose and detailed
> log.[1]  Unfortunately I'm not a big enough c++/boost guru to know what it
> means.  I'll keep banging away at it though.
>
> And I still don't know why it can't be reproduced outside of koji.  I even
> tried the build on one of Kevin's public machines (rawhide was natively
> installed there), and the error did not reproduce.
>
> -Zach
>
> [1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2324390&name=build.log
>
> "...
> | include <boost/program_options.hpp>
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> | boost::program_options::variables_map::variables_map dummy()
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:18263: g++ -o conftest -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -
> fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic
> conftest.cpp -lboost_program_options -lboost_system -lboost_regex -
> lboost_program_options-mt >&5
> conftest.cpp: In function 'int main()':
> conftest.cpp:58:1: error:
> 'boost::program_options::variables_map::variables_map' names the constructor,
> not the type
> conftest.cpp:58:54: error: expected ';' before 'dummy'
> conftest.cpp:59:3: error: statement cannot resolve address of overloaded
> function
> configure:18263: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> "

Well the problem is obvious. The line in the test program should be:

boost::program_options::variables_map dummy()

and not:

boost::program_options::variables_map::variables_map dummy()

I however know very little about autotools (and don't intend on ever
learning either) so how to actually fix it is another matter. If the
configuration scripts are generated during the build maybe there is
something going on there. As a temporary workaround perhaps it might
be possible to just use sed to change the line in the configuration
scripts after they are generated.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...