source url when upstream disappears (geocities)

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 17 02:09:01 UTC 2010

I vaguely remember something about this, but can't find it in wiki or
list archives:
My upstream hasn't updated in years, but the package (glglobe) still
builds for fedora and epel. Late in 2009, it appears that the upstream
hosting site was closed: http://www.geocities.com  (now yahoo).

However, www.oocities.com has chosen to create an archive of various
parts of geocities, and hence the original web pages and source are
available within the archive; it then has a different URL.

Since rpmlint complains, W invalid-URL, for the URL and Source0, it it
acceptable to point to the archive site ?

Concern would be:
- the archive places the content in a frame, so it's not exactly the
same look
- content could get changed by someone else
- linked source could get changed by someone else.

Should I update the URL ?
I was thinking to comment the original URL & Source indicating the
original site, but then change the tagged lines to the oocities versions.