[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Mike Christie mchristi at redhat.com
Mon Jul 19 16:15:37 UTC 2010

On 07/14/2010 10:43 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> 3) You check mtab to figure out whether the rootdir is on iscsi. That
> cannot work, as mtab is not really updated anyway, and if at all you
> should look in /proc/mounts, but this won't really give your the
> information either. The proper way to handle this in systemd is to start
> iscsid if an iscsi block device appears.

We cannot do this, because iscsid is needed to find the iscsi device.
The iscsid daemon and the kernel modules work together to implement the
iscsi protocol. Basically, to do discovery and log into disks, iscsid
will send/recv iscsi packets through the iscsi kernel modules. iscsid
then parses the packets and does things like CHAP and the iscsi
parameter negotiation.