Font rendering in F13

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jul 19 17:26:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 19:15 +0200, Ilyes Gouta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/07/19/1524250/FreeType-Project-Cheers-TrueType-Patent-Expiration
>
> Are we going to have it enabled for Fedora 14?

It already is, in Rawhide. Upgrade an F13 machine to Rawhide and you'll
see noticeably different font rendering.

(Though it's really not as simple as that story makes it seem, which is
why we didn't do it for F13. Bytecode interpreting only helps fonts
which are actually designed with bytecode interpreting in mind. Some of
the fonts we use have been designed more with the use of autohinting in
mind, and look worse if you just use bytecode interpreting everywhere. I
believe the idea for F14 is to try and determine which fonts should use
which method in some way.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey