[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Jul 19 17:33:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19.07.10 11:44, Mike Christie (mchristi at redhat.com) wrote:

> > But if that's the case, why do you believe you gain anything by checking
> > whether the root directory is on iscsi?
>
> For root on iscsi we always need it on.

But what happens for /home on iscsi? It's the same story, isn't it? So
why is / handled differently than /home in this respect?

> I think the problem was that the iscsid service was on by default, so
> when things like libvirt install it iscsid would always start but many
> times not be needed.

In a systemd world we can fix this in a much nicer way:
libvirtd.service would just have a "Wants: iscsid.service" in it. That
way when libvirtd is started iscsid is started too. And if people use
iscsid in other areas too they can just add a single symlink
(/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/iscsid.service →
/lib/systemd/system/iscsid.service) and it is started on boot, regadless
whether libvirtd is enabled or not.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.